- Learn about the
Organics Disposal Ban
- Ask your landlord or property manager to set up food scraps composting in your building
- Find out who collects your building's recycling (city or private hauler) and ask what food scraps collection they offer by
contacting your municipality.
Develop a Food Scraps Collection Plan
A food scraps collection plan identifies:
- Roles and responsibilities (Who will contact the hauler or city to find out hauling options? Who will make decisions about informing residents?)
- Timing (When can your building realistically be ready to start a full program? Is it reasonable to start a few floors at a time to build participation?)
- Communication strategy (Will residents be informed with elevator notices, door-to-door introductions, a lobby meeting? How much follow-up information will be provided after the program is initiated?)
For examples of a plan, visit
Vancouver Trash Talk (a multi-family resource website).
Tools and Resources page for additional resources for setting up a green bin program.