Metro 2040 sets out goals, strategies and policies to guide the future growth of the region and provides the land use framework for transportation, economic, housing, utility (water, liquid waste and solid waste), environmental and climate change planning.
Implementing the strategy means putting Metro 2040's goals into practice, including:
- Containing growth within a defined area and channeling it into vibrant, livable Urban Centres
- Supporting the region’s economy, by protecting industrial and agricultural lands and ensuring their efficient use
- Protecting the region’s valuable natural environment and promoting ecological health and supporting land use and transportation patterns that improve the region's ability to adapt to climate change.
- Building complete communities with affordable and diverse housing, close to employment and amenities, with good transportation choices
- Integrating land use and transportation planning to help get people out of their cars, support the safe and efficient movement of goods and people, and reduce greenhouse gas emissions.
Municipalities prepare and adopt Regional Context Statements, which must be accepted by the MVRD Board. Regional Context Statements describe how local aspirations, as expressed in the Official Community Plan, support and align with Metro 2040's goals and policies.