Metro Vancouver is working closely with stakeholders and First Nations to ensure this project considers their interests and fits with the community.
Metro Vancouver will:
- listen to interests and priorities
- collaborate on how the plant is integrated with Iona Beach Regional Park and the surrounding environment
- collaborate on resource recovery opportunities
- provide information in a timely manner
- take feedback to the project team and report back on how it has been addressed
- establish a single point of contact the community can reach to discuss the project.
The project is in the Project Definition Phase (planning phase) until 2021. The new plant will be designed and constructed between 2021 and 2030, and will be in operation by December 31, 2030.
The input deadline for the Project Definition Phase was October 15, 2020. Thank you to everyone who submitted input. All input received throughout this Phase will be reviewed and considered by the Project team prior to the Project Definition Report being finalized and presented for approval at May 2021 Metro Vancouver Liquid Waste Committee and GVS&DD Board meetings.
There will be further opportunities for engagement during the Detailed Design Phase, starting in mid-2021.