Overview of Projects
The Iona Island Wastewater Treatment Plant in Richmond, BC is being upgraded. The design concept for the upgrade includes tertiary treatment and a range of ecological restoration projects.
Metro Vancouver wants to ensure the wastewater treatment plant makes a positive contribution to the health and well-being of people and the environment.
The upgraded plant and related ecological projects will be designed to:
- Improve the level of treatment from primary to tertiary to protect water quality and the marine environment
- Withstand an earthquake and sea level rise
- Integrate with Iona Beach Regional Park and the surrounding environment
- Restore fish habitat, protect bird habitat and enhance terrestrial ecosystems
- Minimize odour
- Recover sustainable energy and resources from wastewater
Project Definition Update
On November 26, 2021, the Greater Vancouver Sewerage and Drainage District (GVS&DD) Board
endorsed a revised design concept for the Iona Island Wastewater Treatment Plant projects.
The revised design concept keeps important project features like tertiary wastewater treatment, ecological restoration projects, resource recovery opportunities, odour control and park integration while addressing some of the cost and other challenges identified with the earlier design concept.
To learn more:
On February 3, 2022 from 9:00 am to noon, a
Special Meeting of the GVS&DD Board will be held to provide Board members and others with additional information about the projects. The meeting is open to the public and will be
live streamed (starting at 9:00 am on February 3, 2022).
In March 2022, the final conceptual design and project definition report will be presented to Metro Vancouver committees and the GVS&DD Board for consideration. If the report is approved the overall project will move into the preliminary design phase.
Ongoing Priority Activities
Metro Vancouver is continuing to deliver on priority project activities that will not be impacted by any design refinements, including:
- Removal of biosolids stockpiles at the existing treatment plant
- Cleanout of sewage lagoons
- Geotechnical investigations
- Environmental studies for ecological projects
- Work to obtain permits and approvals
- Design of a barge berth for transportation of construction materials to and from Iona Island
- Improvements to roads and upgraded electrical servicing on Sea Island and Iona Island
Visitors to Iona Island may see crews conducting field investigations or other work related to the activities listed above. We will continue to keep you updated about what to expect on the island and in the surrounding area as the projects progress.
Community Engagement Updates
Recent Community Engagement
Thank you to everyone who participated in the fall 2021 engagement period and shared feedback with us. Your input was shared with the Board in an engagement summary report in November 2021, along with the revised design concept.
Engagement Summary Report
Reporting Back on What We've Heard
All comments, questions and issues raised during the project definition phase (2018–2021) are being reviewed and considered by the project team in finalizing the conceptual design and project definition report. A community engagement report will be provided to committees and the Board in March 2022 documenting the feedback received and Metro Vancouver’s responses to that feedback. Please see the “Past Events and Meeting Summaries” section below for more information.
Ongoing opportunities for engagement will be provided in the preliminary design phase.
Questions or comments? Please email IonaWWTP@metrovancouver.org