Overview of Projects
The Iona Island Wastewater Treatment Plant in Richmond, BC is being upgraded. The design concept for the upgrade includes tertiary treatment and a range of ecological restoration projects.
Metro Vancouver wants to ensure the wastewater treatment plant makes a positive contribution to the health and well-being of people and the environment.
The upgraded plant and related ecological projects will be designed to:
- Improve the level of treatment from primary to tertiary to protect water quality and the marine environment
- Withstand an earthquake and sea level rise
- Integrate with Iona Beach Regional Park and the surrounding environment
- Restore fish habitat, protect bird habitat and enhance terrestrial ecosystems
- Minimize odour
- Recover sustainable energy and resources from wastewater
November 2021 Recommended Revised Design Concept
In response to the challenges identified in the July 30, 2021 Project Definition Update (see the update presentation and update report—Section 1.2, starting on page 15), the project team has been working to develop a revised design concept to ensure the best possible projects are presented to Metro Vancouver's committees and Board for consideration in early 2022.
The next step is to present a recommended revised design concept to Metro Vancouver committees for consideration in November 2021.
Agendas for the following committee meetings will be posted at the links below, approximately one week before each meeting:
Ongoing priority activities
Metro Vancouver is continuing to deliver on priority project activities that will not be impacted by any design refinements, including:
- Removal of biosolids stockpiles at the existing treatment plant
- Geotechnical investigations
- Technical studies for ecological restoration projects
- Work to obtain required permits and approvals
- Design of a barge berth for transportation of construction materials to and from Iona Island
- Improvements to roads and upgraded electrical servicing on Sea Island and Iona Island
Community Engagement Updates
2021 engagement is now complete
In September and October, Metro Vancouver sought feedback from stakeholders, the public and First Nations on aspects of the projects that could, based on the work to refine the design, result in revisions to the design concept presented during previous engagement.
Thank you to everyone who participated and shared their feedback with us!
Next steps: reporting back on what we've heard
The input received in September and October will be reported to the Metro Vancouver committees noted above in November 2021, along with the recommended revised design concept.
In early 2022, stakeholder, public and First Nation feedback that has been received since the start of engagement activities in 2018 will be reported to the Board for consideration along with the Project Definition Report. A list of past engagement events and meeting summaries is available below.
There will be further opportunities for engagement on this project during the design phase that will follow project definition.
September and October 2021 engagement: what we did
1 meeting with Musqueam Indian Band – September 14, 2021
5 meetings with key stakeholders – between September 22 and October 18, 2021
1 x Online Public Comment Period – September 27 to October 22, 2021
2 x Online Community Meetings – October 12 and 14, 2021
Engagement topics included:
- Treatment technology
- Treatment plant footprint
- Project cost estimates
- Project schedule
Questions or comments? Please email IonaWWTP@metrovancouver.org