Heather Place, built in 1983, is an 86-unit townhouse development that occupies almost the entire block (approx. 2 acres) that is bounded by Heather Street on the east, Willow Street on the west, 13th Avenue on the north and 14th Avenue on the south. It does not include the two adjoining properties in the southeast corner of the block at 14th Ave. and Heather St.
- Heather Place consists of one, two and three bedroom townhouses built atop an underground parking garage.
- MVHC has mixed income communities. Market rents are historic rental rates. Rent geared to income units quality for reduced rents based on household composition, income of all adults residing in the household and assets.
Heather Place Redevelopment
MVHC is undertaking this re-development project as it reflects the goals and objectives set out in Metro Vancouver’s Regional Growth and Affordable Housing Strategies as well as Vancouver’s Housing and Homelessness Strategy. The goal is to provide more rental accommodation in a city and region desperately in need of affordable housing.
- Currently there are 86 rental units. The re-development project is currently planned to be a 100% rental development.
- We plan to provide 230 rental homes on the site that fit into the neighbourhood.
- We are being sensitive to local neighbourhood needs such as: aesthetics, trees and green space, changing demographics, traffic/parking and changing transportation habits, and access to amenities.
Overall Project Time Line (Estimated)
Deconstruction Work – Completed August 2017
Contractor to begin mobilizing onto site in late April.
Bulk excavation of soil for underground parkade and foundations to begin near the end of April and take approximately one month to complete, note this portion of the work can be impacted by extreme weather.
The City of Vancouver's Noise Control Bylaw allows for construction related noise between:
(a) between the hours of 7:30 o'clock in the morning (0730 hours) to 8 o'clock in the evening (2000 hours) on any week day that is not a holiday, and between 10 o'clock in the morning (1000 hours) to 8 o'clock in the evening (2000 hours) on any Saturday that is not a holiday; and
(b) for construction on a street between the hours of 7 o'clock in the morning (0700 hours) to 8 o'clock in the evening (2000 hours) on any week day or Saturday, and between 10 o'clock in the morning (1000 hours) to 8 o'clock in the evening (2000 hours) on any Sunday or holiday.
However, the Contractor expects that their standard hours of operation will be:
Onsite around 7:00 am and work starting at 7:30 am
End of day will be around 4:00 pm
No work anticipated on Saturdays
No work on Sundays and holidays
Temporary, day time only, restriction to parking along West 14th and North Lane. Full time closure of east curb on Willow Street as coordinated with the City of Vancouver Engineering Department.
Laneway between West 14th and West 13th one way only, entering off Heather, existing onto Willow. Full time no parking in lane as coordinated with the City of Vancouver Engineering Department. Intermittent short term closures may be experienced during certain construction activities – advanced communication will be done to advise when these situations may occur.
Flaggers will be present as required during construction hours to ensure public and employee safety
On track for completion by spring 2020.