Access road temporarily closed to vehicles
The access road to Lynn Headwaters Regional Park has been temporarily closed to vehicle traffic, but remains open to pedestrians and cyclists.
The District of North Vancouver’s council has approved funding to fix the road. Design work is underway, construction is expected to begin in July and finish in early August.
Details are still being worked out, but there may be intermittent closures to pedestrians and cyclists during construction. We’ll let you know as soon as we know more.
Access to Lynn Headwaters Regional Park
- The access road on foot or bicycle: a 1.4 km long paved road to the park kiosk
- The Varley Trail on foot: a 1.5 km long trail through forest and along Lynn Creek to the park kiosk
- The Connector Trail on foot (from LSCR): a 1.3 km long trail through forest to the park kiosk
- Limited parking available in the neighbourhood near Lynn Headwaters Regional Park. Please consider taking transit to the park entrance. (go to
tripplanning.translink.ca for info)
- Parking is available at the Lower Seymour Conservation Reserve; from there, it’s a 1.3 km walk to Lynn Headwaters Regional Park along the Lynn Connector Trail.
- (tentative) Two accessible parking spots for users with mobility issues are being made available at Evelyn St.
Why is the road closed to vehicles?
The District of North Vancouver has monitored and maintained the access road on a regular basis for years. A 2016 assessment by geotechnical engineers revealed the slope underlying the road was unstable and could pose a risk to public safety, and found that portions of the slope were at risk of landslide. The assessment also determined that the risks had increased to a point where regular maintenance could no longer ensure public safety.
If the access road is considered unsafe for vehicle traffic, why are pedestrians and cyclists allowed?
Because pedestrians and cyclists are much lighter than vehicles, their use of the road is less likely to contribute to instability of the road. As well, users are directed to the inside shoulder of the road, away from the most vulnerable portions.
For more information about the road closure, please contact District of North Vancouver at 604-990-2311.
For more information about Lynn Headwaters Regional Park, please contact the Regional Parks West Area Office at 604-224-5739.