NOTE: Due to COVID-19, Metro Vancouver Sustainability Toolbox (MVST) was suspended in Summer 2020. Students interested in participating in the program during Summer 2022 are encouraged to email
Metro Vancouver Sustainability Toolbox - A Youth4Action Leadership Field Course
The Metro Vancouver Sustainability Toolbox (MVST) is a unique, experience-based youth leadership program and full-credit high school course. MVST brings together diverse students from across Metro Vancouver who share a passion for influencing sustainability in their school community through inquiry, collaboration and leadership. This action-packed field course features a range of fun and experiential learning opportunities to develop an understanding of the complex built and natural systems we depend on every day. Students explore the challenges, tough choices and opportunities facing our region while developing the knowledge and competencies necessary to take action and to influence a sustainable and livable region.
- Get to know the built and natural systems we are connected to and depend upon everyday
- Learn principles of sustainability, systems thinking and leadership
- Develop skills to lead and influence awareness, action and innovation at school and beyond
- Apply learning to implement impactful projects tied to interests, passions and SMART goals
- Create lasting connections as part of a regional network of engaged leaders
- Get to know a range of sustainability success stories to inspire awareness and collaborative action
- Experience the power of teamwork and effective strategies and tools for school-based action
- Identify effective strategies to balance commitments, manage stress and stay healthy
- Meet and be inspired by thought leaders and change-makers from across Metro Vancouver, including subject matter experts, community partners, elected officials, entrepreneurs, planners, leaders of all ages, including past Youth4Action program participants
- Get to know Metro Vancouver’s leadership role in supporting a livable region
- Visit local parks, water and waste management facilities, businesses and farms
- Explore, share, present, listen, think, reflect, exert, create, support, celebrate, build, connect, question, learn, laugh and more!
- Receive four credits in Sustainability Studies 12 (Recognized by the BC Ministry of Education)
What’s the commitment?
Successful applicants will participate in all aspects of summer camp and fall classes. This program is offered at no cost to successful applicants, however, a full commitment to participate and attend all program components at specific times is required.