Keeping Reusables Clean
Regularly cleaning your reusable items will ensure that you can use them safely.
Cleaning Tips for Reusable Bags
To protect the safety of residents, businesses, and their staff, follow these
Health Canada guidelines for cleaning reusable bags:
- Machine-wash cloth bags frequently, especially after using them to carry fresh produce, meat, poultry, and seafood.
- If they aren't machine washable, hand-wash reusable bags inside out with hot soapy water.
- Dry reusable bags after washing.
- If juices from food have leaked into the bag, make sure to wash it thoroughly before using again.
- Thoroughly wash your bags before using them for groceries if they've been used to carry non-food items.
Cleaning Tips for Reusable Cups
To protect the safety of residents, businesses, and their staff, follow these cleaning guidelines, approved by Vancouver Coastal Health, for your own reusable cup:
- Most insulated travel mugs are not dishwasher safe.
- Hand wash your travel mug and lid with warm soapy water after each use.
- Rinse under running water. Dry completely.
- Make sure there is no leftover drink residue in your cup or on your lid. Businesses are not required to handle dirty cups or clean yours for you.
- Replace chipped, cracked or otherwise damaged travel mugs.
City of Vancouver
Reusables and COVID-19
what is allowed during COVID-19, opportunities to use reusables in retail settings, and how to reduce the impact of PPE.